Thursday, September 30, 2010

Love your spouse (even when you don't wanna!)

Sometimes LOVE doesn't feel great.
Sometimes you have to choose to love someone.


Ephesians 5:22-24 ESV
Wives, submit to your own husbands, as to the Lord. For the husband is the head of the wife even as Christ is the head of the church, his body, and is himself its Savior. Now as the church submits to Christ, so also wives should submit in everything to their husbands.

Ephesians 5:33 NIV
However, each one of you also must love his wife as he loves himself, and the wife must respect her husband.


This week I have been struggling with negative thoughts about my husband. Somethings I might think are "he's so immature", "why doesn't he treat my like his wife and not like a guy friend", "why does he swear even though I tell him I don't like it"....and the list goes on.

Something I tell myself frequently is that "Satan doesn't attack those who are already going to hell, his focus are those going to heaven". I believe that if a marriage is broken, then our faith may become even weaker, and maybe eventually broken. (If your marriage is broken, you may or may not agree, but know that you are not alone and God does love you. He wants you to love Him, don't give up!) When God Hurts your Feelings

Here is a verse that I found while reading this Proverbs 31 Ministries positing. (What a great post!)
"For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the powers of this dark world and against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms." Ephesians 6:12 (NIV)

As well, Kelly from Generation Cedar posted the other day about protecting your marriage, it's so important to build that protection everyday, a single moment could lead to ruin: Guarding and Growing Your Marriage (another great post!)

Yesterday I was chatting with my sister about a difficult situation she is in with her boyfriend. She said "he is so immature". And my response was "well my husband is immature, guys just don't grow up, you can't make him". I thought that this was a fine answer. But my husband overheard and was hurt by my comment. It's not that I don't think that my husband is a bad husband, the point I was trying to make is that he is just not mature "like an older man would be".

Why am I so foolish? This one little sentence has hurt my husband deeply. And it's not true! What am I doing? I am comparing him to 'other' men. (See Kelly's blog post link above).

Plus I am realising today that my comment is not factual. I had a conversation with a co-worker. She is part of a club that has many Senior members. She said it is funny because they are all great friends, and they make 'sexy' jokes and have tons of fun goofing around together. So in my head, that means that someone my grandpa's age can still act as 'immature' as my husband.

We as women have this 'perfect man' in our minds and unfortunately no man will ever live up to that because it's a lie. Maybe Satan planted the lie because he knew it would help break down our marriages.

If you are struggling with negative thoughts about your husband, know that you are not alone. Talk about it with a friend, with an older Christian lady, or search online. You don't have to hide your feelings, everyone has them. Don't let them burn you from the inside - out.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

counter

Website counter