Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Butternut Squash, Tomato & Quinoa Soup

I'm no chef but I'm not afraid to make up my own recipes. It does make it difficult to share a good recipe though!

I had a butternut squash at home to use up, and I worked a late shift that day so I wanted to put it in my crock pot. Here's what I did:

  • Peeled and cubed Squash, placed in crock pot
  • Covered chicken broth & water (until 1 inch over squash)
  • Added 1 large can of whole tomatoes with juice
  • Sprinkled in thyme leaves (about 1-2 tsp)
  • Set on low and let cook for 8 hours
When I got home I put the soup in my food blender (in  2-3 sections) until blended smooth. Put this is a pot and added 1/2 Quinoa. Brought to a boil, then let simmer until quinoa cooked. Added sea salt to taste.

When I served the soup, I put a dollop of sour cream in the middle of the soup. For my husband I made garlic bread - crispy, cut it up like croutons and placed on soup. For myself I just squished up a few crackers.

It is super good! I was pleasantly surprised! I'm sure that you can make this easier somehow but it worked ok for me.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

counter

Website counter