Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Words of Warfare: New Year's Resolutions

Inspired by Kelly's post over at Generation Cedar…

Words of Warfare: A Tool For Every Christian

 It's that time of year again, when we have an almost tangible way to throw out the old and start anew…. New Year's Resolutions.


I'm always inspired to consider myself, where I am lacking and how I can improve. The list is a bit of a monster though. If we go in with the wrong state of mind we could end up depressed at how poor of a human being we are! Also, I think that there is a chance of your resolutions being a sin. Who are you trying to make yourself better for? And what are your reasons. If they are not to please God, then isn't it a sin? I heard or saw a quote the other day that I really like, it said something like "The Bible is not a giant self-help guide." And that is true! God didn't die for our glory! He didn't write a Bible for our glory, but he did give us a Bible so that we can have a road map to a life that is lived for Christ.

Kelly's blog today inspired me to change how I write my resolutions this year.

So exactly how do we use this power of God’s Word that He has so graciously given? We speak it. Simple as that and nothing else. When we speak God’s Word verbally, we literally wield the only weapon that will cause Satan to turn from us.


Jesus lived this example for us when He walked the earth. When Satan came to tempt Him, he immediately retorted “As it is written…” And responded the same way after Satan’s second attempt to trap him. Satan hates the spoken Word of God! Regardless of the temptation to sin, Satan is always the culprit. God tempts no one. So at the first indication of temptation, we need only to quote Scripture until Satan retreats.
When I am considering what areas I am lacking, what my sins are, how I can glorify God this year - I am going to try and find a verse to go with each resolution.

For example:

Overcome Gluttony

Proverbs 28:7 “He who keeps the law is a discerning son, but a companion of gluttons disgraces his father.”


Proverbs 23:2 “Put a knife to your throat if you are given to gluttony.”

The written word is a sword. So when I am tempted I will try to remember these verses and say them aloud.

I challenge you to consider your resolutions this year. Who are you trying to glorify? What verses can you find to back them up?


Happy Holidays!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

counter

Website counter