Saturday, December 18, 2010

'Only Girl in the World' - That's enough please! (explicit)

Every day I hear… "Only Girl in the World" by Rhianna, and it's starting to really get on my nerves!! It is just one of many but for some reason this one just drives me crazy.

Rhianna appeals to a wide age-range of listeners, but it is my assumption that the majority of fans are girls in their teens and younger.

When an 'artist' develops a song, do they keep in mind the impact it might make on someone, or is every word based on what will sell - my guess is the $ sign wins, but let's not judge.

So, let's take a look at what this song is teaching women, girls, and men/boys about women/girls. The overall understanding I have about the lyrics is that she is talking about having sex (although I read a comment that said the song is about having someones full attention), so please take note that I will be posting the lyrics to this song - and therefore this post will be full of inappropriateness.

I am guilty of listening to a song, without paying attention to the lyrics. Is that subliminal messaging? It seems that it gets harder and harder to understand the words.. so maybe!!! But let's talk consipiracies another time.

These are the lyrics as per Ryan Seacrest… the reason for saying this is that online there is debate as to whether she says pie, guy or ride. Well, all 3 bring on a whole new meaning but are equally disturbing.
Verse 1:

I want you to love me, like I’m a hot pie


Keep thinkin’ of me, doin’ what you like


So boy forget about the world cuz it’s gon’ be me and you tonight


I wanna make your bed for ya, then imma make you swallow your pride
Do I really have to say anything? This verse makes me want to laugh and cry (and to be truthful hearing the song I didn't really know what all the words were so this just makes it worse!). There are some references that come to mind when I read this verse but I'll avoid saying them so this post doesn't become rated R.

I heard Mark Driscoll say once 'I don't believe in evolution, but I do believe in devolution - one day we will be a bunch of apes'. Well, I think we are pretty much there morally, don't you?

I think we are enforcing the world's (well 'civilized world's') view of women in this song. Women are allowed/expected to have sexual freedom and be promiscuous. Men are to treat women as something desirable, and also something very attainable and disposable (when you're done with one move on). Gone are the days where it is shocking that a man or woman would have sex before marriage - today it is the opposite! It is shocking, weird and immoral that a woman/man would abstain until marriage. For those who desire to wait, they find themselves with a small support group and a gigantic world of opposition. How dare a woman ask a man to abstain, and how dare she be upset when he 'respectively' declines the offer.


Want you to make me feel like I’m the only girl in the world


Like I’m the only one that you’ll ever love


Like I’m the only one who knows your heart


Only girl in the world…

This verse, taken by itself and out of context of the song would be great! And maybe it is captions like this that make songs appealing to the mass. "See... it's a great song, with moral meaning!" … Oh really, and did you skim over the other verses?

It should be a top priority for a wife or husband to make their spouse feel loved. They should feel like they are the only one (except God) who really knows them. But I think in this case it is a loose attempt to bring some morality to the song. She wants the guy to make her 'feel' like she's the only girl in the world, like she's the only one he'll ever love. Well girlfriend, having sex with him is not the way to do that! He can show you those things by putting a ring on your finger! But maybe she used the word 'feel' because she realizes that it is just a false hope.
Like I’m the only one that’s in command


Like I'm the only one who understands, how to make you feel like a man.



However, each one of you also must love his wife as he loves himself, and the wife must respect her husband. ~ Ephesians 5:33
From my understanding, having command over our husbands shouldn't be something we should be promoting either. What has happened to the meek, modest and pure women in the world? We've all turned ourselves into a bunch of self-centered prostitutes.

Proverbs 12:4: A wife of noble character is her husband's crown, but a disgraceful wife is like decay in his bones

Are we a happier society now that women are liberated? Where are the songs about raising a family, being a loving wife, a light for Jesus?

1 Timothy 2:9-10



I also want women to dress modestly, with decency and propriety, not with braided hair or gold or pearls or expensive clothes, but with good deeds, appropriate for women who profess to worship God.


Instead of role-models like stars and singers, we need these women:

Titus 2:3-5



Likewise, teach the older women to be reverent in the way they live, not to be slanderers or addicted to much wine, but to teach what is good. Then they can train the younger women to love their husbands and children, to be self-controlled and pure, to be busy at home, to be kind, and to be subject to their husbands, so that no one will malign the word of God.

I will let you ponder the last bit of the song, again... I can't believe there are young children, teens and women who sing these lyrics and love these songs. I think most blame it on "I just like the beat, not the words" but isn't that like saying.. "I just like doing what I want, not sin"?



[VERSE 2]


Want you to take me like a thief in the night


Hold me like a pillow, make me feel right


Baby I’ll tell you all my secrets that I’m keepin’, you can come inside


And when you enter, you ain’t leavin’, be my prisoner for the night


[BRIDGE]


Take me for a ride


Oh baby, take me high


Let me make you first


Oh make it last all night

What do you think of top 40 songs these days? Do you think they have an affect on men, women and children? Should we be doing more in protest?


Not only have we liberated women, we've 'liberated' the gospel. As Kelly from Generation Cedar put it, we've made a 'Happy Gospel'. All you need is Jesus and you will be fine. Well that can be taken the wrong way... all you do need is Jesus BUT that doesn't mean we go on living a sinful. If you feel that pull in your heart for Jesus it's time for you to wake up and break the sin cycle. He wants us to be liberated... from SIN!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

counter

Website counter